Just to get us through the work week…
We all need a pick me up every once in awhile, especially after we feel this might be the longest week of the summer (the week after Fourth of July weekend always is). So I’ve put together a list of must-have habits people need in order to be a likable, charismatic person. No one wants to be around someone who is complaining and negative all the time, as much as we think it’s cool or funny to be so it really isn’t good energy and leaves others feeling down. Practice positive thinking and do what you need to to clear your mind each morning, even if that means waking up extra early to do some yoga or go on a run. Small habits such as holding the door for the person behind you or helping an elderly woman across the street are “pay it forward” habits that we often forget to practice because we are constantly on the go. New York City is no doubt the easiest place to lose sight of humble practices that pay it forward and show respect to one another. So I hope my list serves as a reminder of what you must practice and inspires you to make other people around you feel respected and noticed. We are all only human afterall, and everyone in this world could use a little more TLC.
As a summary for Tuesday’s inspiration, here are 8 habits of insanely charming and charismatic people:
1. They are empathetic
- Having positive and negative empathy means you can put yourself in someone else’s shoes and genuinely feel what they’re feeling.
2. They are humble
- People who are genuinely enjoyable to be around are humble, not arrogant. Of course, it’s healthy to be confident but there’s a fine line between arrogance and humility and the difference is humility. No one honestly enjoys being around someone who has an aura that they’re the coolest person in the world.
3. They are vulnerable
- Don’t be afraid to feel awkward or vulnerable, it shows a side of softness to you that most people can relate to, which will in turn make you more likable. If you see someone you like in a coffee shop, approach them and say hi. It will show a little vulnerability but what do you have to lose? Incredibly likable people aren’t afraid to open up and put themselves out there. Try it.
- by Sigmund Freud: Out of your vulnerabilities will come your strength.
4. They have a sense of humor
- Laughter is always a cure to most situations so when you’re confused, practice what I do. Laugh. Also, if you just meet someone and are nervous, practice telling a joke. Since when have you met someone you hated after they just tried to make you laugh?
5. They are present
- They are not on their phones 24/7. They are present, engaging, and alert, making eye contact when you talk to them
6. They are genuinely interested in EVERYONE
- I know I ask too many questions about other people, but I am genuinely interested in learning about everyone. I think everyone has a unique story you can learn from. Trying to get other people to like themselves when you are around is the goal rather than trying to get them to like you.
7. They are generous and altruistic
- Of course it’s hard, and no one is perfect at this, but try to put other people’s needs before your own and you’ll be amazed how much respect and praise you will receive from others. It’s something that goes unsaid but people notice when you take the time to help them before helping yourself.
8. They reciprocate praise (and take blame)
- Even if it wasn’t them, teamwork makes the dreamwork.
Have a great week!